Ever open your fridge and gawk in terror because you have so much broccoli!! I like broccoli but even still… this was unsettling. If you’re like me, then you’ll quickly try and think of 100+ ways to use it up before it goes bad. This soup is your answer! That was the first time I made this soup. More recently I had my wisdom teeth taken out (as well as other oh so fun dental work) and I needed to switch up my liquid diet! I got so tired of tomato soup and apple sauce… and as soon as I had the energy to do some cooking I made this. It’s my new favorite comfort food! This recipe has been modified from this one here: http://the-lowcarb-diet.com/low-carb-broccoli-cheese-soup/ What you need:
- A nice large chopping knife
- An abundance of broccoli (or just a craving for an abundance of broccoli)
- Your tunes to chop to (I went for the classic rock Pandora station this time)
What your soup needs:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 of an onion diced
- 2-3 medium garlic cloves diced
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups chopped broccoli (purchasing tip: one medium stalk will make about 1 1/2 cups chopped)
- 4 1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used 2 cups white cheddar and 2 cups sharp yellow cheddar, I find that sharper cheeses are better but really regular is good too)
- 1 1/4 cup half & half or heavy cream (or even whole milk is good, I used half heavy cream and half milk for mine)
- Salt & Pepper to taste
*Suggested toppings: an extra handful of cheese, dollop of sour cream, chopped green onion, veggie bacon bits
First grab a nice large soup pan and add the butter and diced onion on medium heat. Let cook for a few minutes until softened then add in the garlic. Let cook for a minute (waft in all the garlic magic) and then add in the vegetable broth and stir. Next pour in all of that wonderful broccoli!
I also like to add in some salt & pepper at this time, sometimes a dash of garlic powder and thyme too. Stir it in and let everything simmer on medium high for about 10-15 minutes. Grab a fork and double check that your broccoli is nice and soft. Now you can add in that cream. Stir it in and let simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in all the cheese. Give it a taste and see if it needs any more seasonings. Otherwise serve and enjoy! You can add on any of those optional toppings I listed above (I just put some more cheese on top), and serve with bread (I had picked up some delicious soft pretzels that paired nicely!). This would also be amazing in a bread bowl. It’s a thicker soup so when you’re done it may not seem like there’s a whole lot but it’s nice and filling! I make this to serve 2 and have leftovers (because yes, it is even better the next day!). However it would also easily serve 4, probably 6.