This is my white girl version of my favorite breakfast! I switch this recipe up sometimes depending on what I have in the fridge.
What you need:
- This meal is perfect if you have leftovers from taco night
- An iron skillet or some kind of pan you can put in the oven (I’ve used pie tins before)
- A cup of coffee in your hand
What your heuvos racheros need:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 corn tortillas (I used king sized ones)
- 1/2 cup beans (Perfect if you have some leftover refried beans! Black or pinto beans would be fine too though)
- About a 1/2 cup cheese (I used cheddar! Pepper jack would be good too)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup fried potatoes (Optional, I had some leftover from the previous night’s tacos, they’re a great addition)
- Salt & pepper to season
*Suggested toppings: salsa, avocado, hot sauce, sour cream, jalapenos, green chiles
First, preheat your oven to 400 degrees
Use a small frying pan to heat the oil on medium high. Cook the tortillas for about half a minute on each side.
Grab that iron skillet or oven proof pan and place your tortillas there. If needed dab them a bit with a paper towel to get excess oil off. Layer on your potatoes, beans and cheese onto each tortilla.
Stick in the oven while you make the eggs to warm up (unless you preheated the beans & potatoes, you can nuke them for a bit to speed up this process before putting them on the tortillas)
Go back to that small frying pan and fry up those eggs however you’d like them.
I prefer mine over medium. Carefully (don’t burn yourself like I did!! Use two oven mitts not just one lol) pull out that pan from the oven and place one egg on each tortilla. Sprinkle with a touch more cheese before you close the oven door.
Bake for another 5-10 minutes. You want the cheese to be melted and the tortilla to get a little crisp on the edges. Sprinkle with salt & pepper and any other toppings you’d like. I normally love to add avocado and salsa if I have it on hand.
Surprise your loved ones with this breakfast one morning, they’ll love it!